More burn injuries are occurring in kitchens during pandemic. Thanksgiving may see a rise in these accidents.

Holly Koscinski used to like to multitask, until one evening last March when she was watching “The Great British Bake Off,” boiling water for pasta with Alfredo sauce and cleaning the microwave over her gas stove. As she leaned forward, her shirt went up in flames, and when she tried to pull it off, her arm caught fire, leading to third-degree burns over nearly one-fifth of her body. She spent the next 17 days in an intensive care unit.

Today, Koscinski, a 42-year-old elementary school speech therapist, hopes she can be a cautionary tale for friends and neighbors in her small town of Yerington, Nev.

It’s good timing. For much of the pandemic, while Instagram feeds have filled with “stress baking” photos of sourdough bread and cakes, burn units have filled up with injured cooks.

From Sacramento to Washington, D.C., and even as far away as Israel and Australia, more people have been spending more time in their kitchens, resulting in more fires and burns.

This Post Has One Comment

  1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.

Leave a Reply